Most of us learned just about everything we know about parenting from our own parents. However, they didn’t give us lessons in caring for someone with memory loss or dealing with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias. We’re here to help reduce your stress and enhance your success as a dementia caregiver.
Being a perfect parent is impossible. So is being a perfect caregiver.
You may be getting frustrated with yourself and your loved one – and that’s perfectly OK. Hebrew HealthCare has devoted its resources entirely to the needs of seniors since 1901. In doing so, we also recognize the needs of family caregivers who need support – just like you.
Our first bit of advice: you shouldn’t think that any of your questions are simple or unimportant.
You may be asking:
- When should Mom or Dad stop driving?
- Why won’t they shower?
- Why are they asking me again about what I just told them?
- When do I need to do more for them and where can I find help?
Our consultation programs are designed to take the fears and uncertainties of dementia out of dementia care. We have the expertise to accurately assess the functional abilities of your family member. Along with the resources to provide you with information, referrals and appropriate care plans. Our goal is to help you keep your loved one safely and comfortably at home for as long as possible.
We’ll guide you on how to:
- Communicate with and keep your family member active and involved
- Manage dementia behaviors and prepare for disease progression
- Find relief and respite from caregiving
- Find and hire in-home caregivers
- Know when it’s time to consider residential care
- Navigate through the complexities of the health care system